Holy Name Medical Center Earns 5 Stars for Orthopedic Care and Critical Care of Patients with Respiratory Failure
Awards complement seven years of accolades for Maternity Care
Holy Name Medical Center was named a Five-Star recipient for 2012-2013 by Healthgrades, the leading provider of physician and hospital information for consumers, for its performance in spine surgery, and in back and neck surgery (spinal fusion). This is the second consecutive year that HNMC has received praise for both spine surgery and back/neck surgery (spinal fusion). The Medical Center also received 5 Stars for its critical care of persons with respiratory failure.
The orthopedic and critical care accolades complement current Healthgrades 5-Star ratings, including those for maternity care, which Holy Name has achieved seven years in a row (2007-2012).
Performance grades are based on data from the report, "American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation," which evaluates Medicare hospitalization records to obtain risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates from 2009 through 2011.
Current Healthgrades awards to Holy Name include:
- Ranked #7 in NJ for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in NJ for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013 (Ranked 7 in 2013)
- Five-Start Recipient for Spine Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Back and Neck Surgery (Spinal Fusion) for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure in 2013
According to Healthgrades' analyses, patients treated in hospitals receiving five stars have, on average, 61% lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated by hospitals receiving one star. Healthgrades' findings also indicate that a total of 183,534 in-hospital complications could have been avoided if all hospitals performed at the 5-star level.
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Maternity Care Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2010/2011 & 2011-2012)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Maternity Care for 3 Years in a Row (2010/2011 & 2011-2012)
- Five-Star Recipient for Maternity Care for 7 Years in a Row (2006/2007-2012)
Healthgrades independently measures data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of the analysis, and no hospital pays to be measured. Healthgrades risk adjusts for patient demographic characteristics and clinical risk factors, thereby taking into account how sick patients are upon admission.