What is a Patient Advocate?
The Patient Advocate is a resource provided by Holy Name Medical Center for:
- their families, and
- appropriate other(s).
This service is provided in all areas within Holy Name Medical Center. As part of our Mission to focus on Patient Care, the Patient Advocate acts as a liaison or bridge between:
- patient/family/appropriate other(s), and
- Medical Center staff and systems.
The Patient Advocate is here to help you. At your request, the Patient Advocate will become involved and focus on:
- improving communication
- accessing information
- addressing concerns, and
- resolving difficulties.
The Patient Advocate will gladly assist you when you may:
Why is a Patient Advocate Needed?
- be experiencing difficulties, or
- have questions or concerns about any aspect of care or service.
Medical Centerization and illness can be very stressful and disruptive for the patient/family/other(s). There are occasions when you may need someone other than the Medical Center staff to speak for you.
It is normal for you to experience emotions that may make it difficult for you to express your needs and concerns.
- You may fear that you might break down and cry
- You may fear that you might blow-up at the staff
- You may fear that you might feel intimidated and not say what you intended to, or
- You may fear that you might be labeled as difficult.
- You may have concerns that are never communicated.
- You may be fearful of repercussions if you complain and may be afraid of being labeled as a complainer.
Bringing requests, concerns or complaints to the Patient Advocate is not viewed as complaining or making waves. It is viewed as appropriately using a resource that is in place to provide:
- encouragement, and
How Can the Patient Advocate Help You?
You are welcome to contact the Patient Advocate to simply discuss your situation. This can be done by :
- in writing, by letter or email
- in person at the patient's bedside, or
- in another private room provided in the facility or in the Patient Advocate's office.
Upon meeting with you the Patient Advocate will offer suggestions about what can be done to address the concern. No further action will be taken unless the Patient Advocate is requested to act by the:
The Patient Advocate can provide:
- patient, or
- family/other(s) on the patient's behalf (if the patient is unable to make the request).
- Confidentiality is highly respected and maintained. The focus is on the best interest of the patient.
The Patient Advocate will:
- information about Medical Center policies and procedures
- information concerning the patient's rights and responsibilities
- a clinically independent forum for you to voice complaints/concerns, and
- an explanation as to how we will respond to your concerns or complaint.
- act on your behalf to review complaints, concerns, inquiries, and needs, and
- arrange a meeting if required to address your concern with the relevant Holy Name Medical Center personnel and you.
Contact the Patient Advocate when you:
How To Contact the Patient Advocate
- don't know whom to ask for help, or
- even if your request for assistance has been refused by others.
Compliments or complaints can be made by meeting with the Patient Advocate or by contacting via mail, email or telephone. You do not need to identify yourself, but if you do it will help to identify and correct problems and will validate the complaint/compliment.
(Voice Mail provided.)
Attention - Nancy Bischoff
Holy Name Medical Center
718 Teaneck Road
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666
The Patient Advocate will provide personal service at Holy Name Medical Center when requested.
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.