Maternal-fetal medicine is the branch of obstetrics that focuses on the management of complicated and high-risk pregnancies. An expectant mother may be referred to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist, also known as a perinatologist, if she has a medical problem such as diabetes, hypertension or heart disease, or if a previous pregnancy resulted in preterm labor, multiple births, pre-eclampsia, or a genetic disorder or birth defect.
Maternal-fetal physicians work with obstetricians to monitor and confirm healthy fetal development and assist in your care throughout the pregnancy. Your perinatologist will consult with you and your obstetrician about ways to promote your health and that of your baby. The perinatologist keeps your ob closely informed throughout every step of your evaluation, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up, and in most cases, your obstetrician will deliver your baby.
Holy Name Medical Center's Maternal-Fetal Medicine Service advocates a personalized, hands-on approach to patient care. Unlike many other perinatologists, they will meet with you at every appointment to discuss your test results and answer your questions.
Diagnostic and Monitoring Services
Perinatal care can begin as early as the pre-conception period, when our maternal-fetal specialists would perform a pre-pregnancy consultation. We'll review your medical history and develop a plan to optimize your chances of a successful pregnancy.
During pregnancy, we offer counseling and education, and confirm proper fetal development. We also provide advanced diagnostics, including:
- First and second trimester genetic risk assessment
- High resolution fetal ultrasound (including 3D/4D)
- Chorionic villous sampling
- Fetal echocardiography
- Fetal growth monitoring
- Doppler blood flow studies
- Fetal biophysical evaluations (non-stress test, amniotic fluid volume assessments and biophysical profiles)
- Direct fetal assessment
The Maternal-Fetal Medical Team
Holy Name Medical Center's Maternal-Fetal Medicine Service is composed of an award-winning team of highly trained physicians, nurses and allied health professionals who are recognized for their expertise in the field of perinatal medicine.
Our medical team includes:
- Perinatologists—Board-certified obstetricians with fellowship training in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders in mother and fetus during pregnancy
- Perinatal nurses—Specially-trained nurses who act as coach and educator
- Ultrasonographers—Technologists with advanced training and expertise in perinatal ultrasound, who assist physicians in evaluating pregnancies with ultrasound imaging
- Genetic counselors—Experts who have extensive training in high-risk pregnancy care
Holy Name's maternal-fetal medical team works with obstetricians, pediatric surgeons, pediatric cardiologists, neonatologists and geneticists to ensure that mother and baby receive the best care possible.