Headache Treatment Program
Holy Name Medical Center's Headache Treatment Program specializes in caring for adults, adolescents and children who suffer from intractable migraine headaches, especially for those whom conventional methods of therapy have failed. Often, successful treatment for these unrelenting migraines involves infusion therapy. Holy Name is the only facility in New Jersey offering this type of treatment to headache patients of all ages.
Under the direction of staff neurologists, outpatient intravenous protocols are administered by nursing staff specially trained in the field of headache medicine, ensuring maximum safety and effectiveness. About 90 percent of patients experience a significant improvement, if not a complete eradication, of symptoms.
Children and teens are treated in the pediatric and young adult center; adults are treated in the adult infusion center. Most patients require one visit; others may need repetitive, daily treatment for up to three days.
- chronic migraines with and without medication overuse, who have failed multiple treatments to prevent or stop migraine symptoms, and who are disabled by their headaches but do not require or desire inpatient treatment;
- migraine headaches lasting longer than 72 hours and that do not respond to conventional medications (status migrainosus);
- acute migraine attacks that last fewer than 72 hours, are debilitating, and not responsive to self-administered medications;
- prolonged aura;
- cluster headache exacerbation; and/or
- new, daily persistent headache
To make an appointment for consultation, patients may call 1-877-HOLY-NAME (1-877-465-9626), or share our information with your physician to obtain a referral.