Why not start 2022 with tasty new food choices and a new mindset?
Before you nibble or sip, ask yourself, “What does this food or beverage do for me? Does it give me nutrients, fuel, energy, joy?” This is mindful eating, which helps you connect with your food and give it the attention it deserves.
Try toasting the New Year with some of these healthy, delicious appetizers and beverages:
- Kombucha, a fermented, slightly alcoholic beverage (1-2% ABV, alcohol by volume), which contains probiotics for gut health and is low in calories. For a bigger punch, and 5-11% ABV, try hard kombucha, found in most liquor stores.
- Spike your champagne with fruits rich in antioxidants - pomegranate seeds, raspberries, or blackberries.
- Sneak some veggies into your New Year's Eve appetizers. Serve healthy spinach artichoke dip, zucchini sticks, and baked Italian eggplant dippers.
- Serve yummy, healthy crudités, including baby carrots, cucumber chips, slices of raw pepper, snap peas, and cherry tomatoes.
- For a healthy dip, start with a creamy base made from foods such as beans, lentils, avocados, edamame, and roasted vegetables (eggplant, carrots, squash, zucchini, peppers, cauliflower) that are blended with oil or another liquid. Add flavor boosters such as tahini, garlic, hot sauce, nut butters, nuts and seeds, lemon or lime juice, and zest. Finish by seasoning with fresh and dried herbs, spices, salt and pepper, and your dip is complete.
Debbie Bessen, MS, RD, CSO, is a registered dietitian specializing in oncology, food sensitivities, gastrointestinal health, and weight control.
If you have any questions, or would like to make an appointment with a registered dietitian for an in-person or telemedicine nutrition counseling appointment with Holy Name's outpatient nutrition center, call 201-227-6040.